Saturday, December 24, 2011

Legos...for Girls?


As a kid, I loved Legos! I enjoyed imagining something and then trying to figure out how to build it. However, the Lego company has created a new line aimed at girls that include pre-made items, female characters with busts, and everything in pink. And I agree with this article that the "Asumption that girls don't want to play with conventional Legos is insulting."

What do you think? Does creating a "girl's" line like this limit creativity and end the era of a great gender neutral toy? Or do you agree with the NY Times article that this new line "works with the way girls play"?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting article, and I can providing completing corroborating proof in my 5-year-old brother and 2-year-old sister who play with and enjoy the same legos. Great blog -- I love reading it! I'm equally as frustrated by reverse, male-targeted stereotype-propogating marketing like this commercial that was on TV (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S6qVg0eGgU) talking about a way that I man has to be to be manly enough to earn his man card. I can't believe this crap is allowed on public TV.

    ReplyDelete